Saturday, November 4, 2017

The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors by Drew Daywalt

"I hope you're wearing your BATTLE PANTS! You've played the game. Now read the legend of the three great warriors who started it all. . . ROCK PAPER SCISSORS!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rock is a warrior from the Kingdom of the Back Yard and he is sad because no one can beat him in battle so he journeys to the nearby kingdom of Forest Over by the Tire Swing to find someone to beat him, he destroys the competition and then travels to the Tower of Grandma's Favorite Apricot Tree to challenge another being. . . and wins again.

While all that is going on, Paper is in the Empire of Mom's Office trying to find someone who could beat him. He travels through Desk Mountain and Pit of Office Trash Bin defeating all of his foes. Paper sadly continues his journey to find someone who can defeat him.

Finally, we meet Scissors, in the kitchen. She searches far and wide from the tiny village of Junk Drawer to the frigid wastes of Refrigerator/Freezer and cannot find anyone who can defeat her.

One day all three meet up in the great cavern of Two-Car Garage and battle each other. . .


Ya'll, I tried. I tried so hard to like this book. I love the game Rock, Paper, Scissors so I had great hopes of this book being amazing. It's not. The story takes too much time developing a backstory that the true action of the book takes place in the last 12 and is really only 3-4 pages of actual Rock, Paper, Scissors. Oh, also the only girl in the book lives in the kitchen? (I know, I'm reading to much into this, but still.)

I will say Adam Rex did an amazing job illustrating the text of the book. His pictures are what makes the book worth reading.


With Love from Library Land,
Amber

*****UPDATE:
I read this book to one of my coworkers today (April 20, 2018) and reading it OUT LOUD makes it so much better! *****

No comments:

Post a Comment